Being a first-time home buyer can be scary (and surprisingly expensive). But do you know what’s truly frightening? Sinking thousands of dollars into a property only to find out it needs massive repairs down the line – that you didn’t anticipate and can’t afford.
If you’ve found yourself on the cusp of closing on a property deal in Marquette, or any other area of the U.P. for that matter – congratulations! But before you start planning your housewarming party, you absolutely must conduct your due diligence to ensure the property is right for you.
This includes scheduling a professional home inspection, lining up financing, scheduling an appraisal, and ensuring everything is within your budget. (Remember – an appraisal and a home inspection are not the same thing. To learn the difference between the two, please read our blog here.)
Is a Professional Home Inspection Worth It?
Sure, it’s an investment to hire a pro to come out and take a look at your home, but the true value of a professional home inspection cannot be underestimated.
If you’re paying for a professional home inspection in the Upper Peninsula, you might as well extract the absolute most value out of this service as possible.
Let me help you find some peace of mind by revealing the top 10 questions you should ask during a professional home inspection in Marquette. These questions will help you better understand the property’s current condition, whether or not you should negotiate down the price, and so much more.
Before Hiring a Home Inspector
When considering a home inspector, you may want to ask the following questions before you hire him. They will help you to understand better how the whole process will go down – especially if this is your first time. It will also help you uncover any potential conflicts of interest that could spoil your deal.
Ask these questions when vetting a home inspector:
- What does your inspection include?
- How long does a professional home inspection usually take?
- How much will it cost? (Remember, cheaper isn’t always better)
- What type of report will I receive at the end of the professional home inspection?
- Are you a member of a professional home inspector association?
- Can I be there during the inspection?
If you like what you hear, then you’ve found your guy or gal.
Ask These 10 Questions to Get the Most Out of Your Professional Home Inspection
Ultimately, you don’t have to be present during a home inspection, but it definitely doesn’t hurt.
Once you’ve hired your preferred company to perform your professional home inspection, it’s time to get down to business. Schedule a day and time that allows you to be there for the whole process so you can ask questions as they evaluate the condition of your potential property.
Note: If you’re out of state or buying sight unseen (this is a MAJOR trend in the Marquette and Negaunee real estate market), don’t worry. U.P. Home Inspections LLC specializes in very detailed reports and videos that give you the confidence you need to move forward.
Ok, now on to the questions…
- Is there evidence of flooding in the basement?
In the U.P., snowmelt can cause flooding even outside of flood zones in some situations.
- Do you suspect the home has lead paint or asbestos?
- Is there anything you would recommend having a specialist look at?
- What kind of heating system does the house have?
- Is the home in a high radon risk area?
- If the home has septic, what style of septic system is it?
- When was the last time the septic tank was pumped and inspected?
- How old are the roof, water heater, and furnace?
- What maintenance and/or repairs should be done before moving in?
- Has the electrical system been updated? If so, was it professionally done?
- How difficult will snow removal be on this property?
Questions to Ask Yourself After a Professional Home Inspection
After your professional home inspection has concluded, you will know if the deal is a smart move or not. Before signing on the dotted line, take a moment and ask yourself the following questions:
- What issues and repairs am I willing to deal with?
- What is a deal-breaker for me?
- What is the school system in the area like?
- What are the neighboring properties like?
- Could I see myself living here when I’m older or if I become injured/disabled?
Also, consider situations that pertain specifically to winter weather like ice damming, icy walkways, gutters, railings, and stairs. Remember, winter in the U.P. can last a LOT longer than most places.
Above all, always trust your gut. If you have a bad feeling about a property before or after an inspection, dig deep and ask yourself why. If it’s purely a cosmetic thing – that can be fixed. If it’s something more severe like cracks in the foundation or an aging roof – it’s a good idea to sleep on it for a few days before proceeding.
Questions to Ask Your Marquette Realtor After a Professional Home Inspection
Your realtor is also an excellent resource for information about a potential property. Consider asking them these questions during your showing:
- What are the property taxes like in the area?
- How much did the previous owner pay in utility bills? (Tip: you can call local utility providers to get the answer to this question as well).
- Has this area seen an appreciation or depreciation in real estate value in the past 5-10 years?
Ultimately your realtor works for you. Any ethical realtor will be more than happy to help you make sure you end up in a property that suits your wants and needs.
Schedule Your Professional Home Inspection Today
Armed with these can’t-miss questions and a little bit of insight, you are now ready to take the next step towards buying a home in Marquette (or anywhere else in the Upper Peninsula).
If you have any questions about the home inspection process, don’t hesitate to reach out to Rich Beasley, certified home inspector, at (906) 360-3879 today.
Ready to schedule your professional home inspection? Great!
Click HERE to schedule your inspection today.